Our clients Geoscience divisions head office is located in Newcastle and is the geotechnical department within the group providing geotechnical engineering and metocean services to support the offshore oil and gas, renewable energy, telecom and mineral industries.
The Principal Engineer is the technical authority for the business in respect to all geotechnical engineering. They will undertake day to day technical management of the business line, including the completion, quality control and delivery of geotechnical studies, designs and reports. They will also deputise for the General Manager including commercial management.
Primary duties will include -
- Lead in the preparation, quality control, approval and delivery of geotechnical studies, designs and reports.
- Conduct, delegate and supervise data assessments and geotechnical analyses.
- Client management.
- Maintain time and project records and manage project costs.
- Technical and commercial management and planning of the business, including resource planning and project management.
- Lead in the development of the technical skills of the engineering team in accordance with the needs of the job and the development plans. Lead the coaching of junior staff.
- Master's degree in Geotechnical Engineering or closely related subject supported by further academic study or practical experience in geotechnical engineering or engineering geology;
- PhD in relevant field desirable;
- Eighteen years' experience working in a geotechnical engineering environment with five years in a senior role;
- Proven expertise in ground investigation, geotechnical engineering and geological processes;
- Active participation/membership of a professional organization such as the Institution of Civil Engineers, Geological Society, Society for Underwater Technology;
- Chartered membership of a professional organization such as the Institution of Civil Engineers, Geological Society;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (English);
- Good IT skills, with the ability to use Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio, etc.) and practical application of a range of industry proprietary software for geotechnical analysis.